Best Blogger Tips

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lifeafterdatingapsycho.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

But I Love Him!

How do you see through the love to take an honest look at your relationship?

What About The Girl I Used To Be? When Do I Get Her Back?

How do you connect the pieces to find your way back to the person you were before the abuse?

Warning Signs of Abusive Behavior

How can you identify an abuser before it’s too late?

Am I In An Abusive Relationship?

Something doesn’t feel right, but how do I know if this is normal or not?

How Do I Get Out?

Realizing that you are in an abusive relationship is the first step…now what?

How Do I Accept a World Like This?

I don't always know how to deal with the ignorance of people on the subject of sexual assault. I shut down today. In the middle of a conversation with a guy friend of mine. He told me that's just what he thought girls wanted (sex). He thought they just said no, but they didn't mean it. He thought, that people just have sex. Right away. And that's what they do.

How do we accept a society like this? How do we live in a world like this? A world that somehow portrays this idea so strongly that my well-educated, super-liberal, environment-loving, animal-activist male friend, that spends his time volunteering to help less fortunate people and cried after reading about what global warming is going to do to our planet, thinks that it's ok to have sex with a girl after she says no because it's what she really wanted.

My heart hurts today. I don't know how to help change our society, but I will keep trying to find a way. I'll keep trying to be apart of the change. I can't accept a world where this is accepted.

3 comments:

  1. Hugs to you. I can relate. I used to live in SPain for 6 years and according to the statistics (!!!) every day dies a woman there. Domestic violence etc. I was shocked to her that. I strongly believed that this would never happen in Germany. Well, obviously Iam abused myself, and I knew there are more so unfortunate. Yet at the day center for trauma I was shocked to see HOW many of us are there. I know the feeling when. germany readily pays for other countries, helps by disaster, leads when it comes to environmental issues and still has such a society. hence I started searching. And I did find a counter - society. There are now groups for men with phedophile tendencies, rape prevention centers, etc etc. Thee start to more educate the public and even more so the "prospective" rapist or batterer. currently there is a german wide campaign on TV, about "speak up" make yourself heard. A long way to go still however I am glad that the first steps are taken.
    Love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No = yes? Something like that happened to me while I was living in Guatemala. A guy kept on asking me out and while he was talking to me he kept on touching me. That was just to close for me and I said NO so many times. Then one day I got really mad and asked him why he doesn't get that NO. He told me that women never mean no. I freaked out on him telling him that my no means NO, and then I was the 'bitchy' weird one..
    Something must be done against it.. I can't accept that either.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep having your voice...keep telling the truth....one day....one person at a time....will come to know...it's not ok. Me? I fought...I let the anger turn to hate. All it did was hurt me. I think having our voice amongst the other voices....will break through one day...

    ReplyDelete